Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Does balance really exist when you're a working mom?

Lately I've been a little our of sorts...a little on edge, and unhappy.  This doesn't really make much sense, because I'm happy with my marriage, and my daughter, and my career, and my friends, and everything else.  As I began to dig a little deeper into the feeling, I realized that I'm having a hard time giving everyone 100% of myself right now.  I wish I had more to offer everyone, but to be honest, I'm spread really thin. 

I wonder if other working moms feel this way too.  How do we keep all of the plates spinning without spinning out of control?   I don't have all of the answers, but here's my game plan to find balance and stay sane.

1. Identify what's important and let the rest go.
For example, it's really important that my family eats a healthy dinner, but that doesn't mean that it has to take me an hour in the kitchen to prepare it. 

2. Delegate, give away, and hire out responsibilities!
Do the things that you love, and get someone else to do the things you don't love to do.  If you're an independent, perfectionist like me, then we need to learn this lesson more than anyone.  Get over yourself and let those around you help you out!

3. Take a time out.
These aren't just for our kids.  Last Saturday night was the first one in weeks that I haven't been obligated to be somewhere.  I immediately started planning to knock out some of the things on my long term to-do list when my sister asked me to watch movies with her.  I almost said no, and then I let go of the to-do's and relaxed with her on the couch.  Sometimes a time out is more important than anything on our to-do list.

What are you doing to find balance as a working mom? 

1 comment:

  1. Prayer, prayer & more prayer!!! Plus having at least 1 girlfriend you can be real with when you are struggling. Also, find out what the most important things are to your husband...then when you only have energy for 1 or 2 things before he gets home you'll know what will mean the most to him. Oh yeah, you have to read the book Feminine Appeal...it's amazing!!! It helped me through a majorly hard time when I was trying to figure out all this stuff too!!! Love you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete